The Alhecama Theatre is a part of El Presidio de Santa Barbara State Historic Park (SHP) located in downtown Santa Barbara. SBTHP recently completed the restoration of this special facility, which has had a continuous community use since its construction as the Pueblo Theatre in 1925. The beautiful interior, with its recently restored original oak floors, stage, and a mural by American artist Ross Dickenson, is an ideal location for weddings, lectures, social gatherings, and theatre events. Each month events are held in the Alhecama theatre and it is also available for rental purposes.
Built for the Santa Barbara School of the Arts, the Alhecama Theatre was originally used for drama, music, and dance classes. Alice Schott purchased the theatre in 1939 when the school struggled due to the Great Depression. She renamed it the Alhecama after her daughters Alice, Helen, Catherine, and Mary Lou. Schott deeded the school property to the City of Santa Barbara School District in 1945 and it was used jointly by the Adult Education program and Santa Barbara Junior College, later renamed Santa Barbara City College, for many years. It was purchased by the State of California in 1982 to become part of El Presidio SHP.